Tuesday 12 June 2012

Back to the Desktop and WPF, no WinRT for me

I’ve been working pretty much full time lately on Windows Phone 7 apps, and making pretty much no money.  As I have a house and a family, this isn’t a situation that can continue for very much longer.  One of our previous WPF apps is doing quite well on the desktop, and makes more in a single sale than I make in a month of Windows Phone App sales and ad revenue.

I have considered porting some of my apps to WinRT for Windows 8, but based on what Josh Smith says here http://joshsmithonwpf.wordpress.com/2012/03/20/does-anyone-actually-care-about-winrt/ I think my gut feel that it is a lot of work, and it will probably come with more pain than gain for me is probably spot on.

I was one of first into WP7 development, and the theory was that we’d be discoverable and get early sales.  What happened instead is that others got in on the bandwagon, and produced similar apps, so in my view, there’s no benefit to showing my hand early. 

If it really is that good of an environment, it shouldn’t be that hard to port the apps to the new platform.

No comments:

Post a Comment