I’ve had a bad 24 hours. I’ve been trying to get started developing for Windows Phone 8, and as a result of the new outlandish hardware requirements to do so have had to purchase a new PC.
So, I wandered down to Curry’s and picked up an HPPavilion g6-2241sa 15.6 Laptop – Blue for £350. I then had to get the windows pro pack to enable Hyper-V, (which I still haven’t, at the time of writing this, managed)
Alas, I’ve stumbled into the problem that Windows Update on HP machines doesn't actually work very well (if at all). The big 190 MB update that needs to be done locks up after reboot at 13%
After nearly 12 hours talking to support, I came across this:
What I did was:
go to the windows update site, and download the updates manually: KB2764870, KB2761094, and 2756872 as well as delmigprov.exe
I then ran delmigprov
did the clean boot thing
copied the files to the desktop
and then went to device manager, and uninstalled all devices that might cause a problem (2x network, card reader, 2xaudio, and web cam).
I also manually stopped the audio services in case it was the IDT audio.After running the first 2 kb updates, I needed to reboot.
Alas, that meant I had to remove all of the devices again, and stop the services after they were installed.
Now my machine has finally booted back into windows!
I am now going to create another system restore point
Since then, I’ve added another 5 windows updates, but this time without disabling the devices.
And now another restore point, and finally install of pro-pack.
All of this seems to have worked, and I’m finally up and running after only 19 hours of work.
If this has saved you time, please consider purchasing some of our software at http://www.wieser-software.com/